[Company] 

The Confederal Globe (Toonela)

5 Replies, 7406 Views

The Imperial Globe

Globe Exclusive: Sufet Speaks On Recent Sanctions, Ramelia, and More

[Image: ppsBa7g.png]

HADRUMETUM, CD — Field reporter Himilco caught up with the Sufet Carondawana as they were relaxing following a swim in the Hadrumetum Central Pool today for comment on their signing of Imperial Decree No. 17, among other topics.

H: I should ask: how was your swim, Carondawana?

C: Peaceful. Thank you.

H: Lovely. Before I ask you about the new sanctions and control decree, I wanted to get to your thoughts on a couple of other recent international affairs. As our readers will know, the civil conflict in the Commune of Ramelia ended just two weeks ago. The House of Servitors approved a withdrawal from the food surplus worth approximately $111 million to assist the hungry within the Commune's borders during the end stages of the conflict. Some have wondered why the provincial collaborative councils did not convene the House earlier in the conflict. Why do you think it took so long to approve unitary action across the provinces?

C: It's a question better directed at the Realms' Councils who took longer to join the collaborations than the others; for my part, I think there are some provinces who were, reasonably, I imagine, concerned with the volume of aid being gifted to a nation some older members of our communities might still regard with some suspicion or grievance following the ascension of Etsuast eight years ago . . .

H: A reasonable grievance?

C: laughs No, of course not! A reasonable concern for the effect such a large amount of the food surplus being spared might have on food security. I think the unanimous confirmation of the Ascended was a demonstration of how more pious heads prevailed in winning over those who might drag their feet due to the past.

H: The actions of Ambassador Onondakai were widely praised here, but some of our friends abroad are wondering: why didn't they issue guidance for Imperial citizens within the Commune's territories during the conflict?

C: The Onaron encourages us in its subtle ways to assess ourselves and our surroundings critically. I cannot imagine an Imperial citizen within the Commune was not aware of the severity of the situation and the risks staying there brought upon themselves. Onondakai's opening of the embassy's suites, and the actions of all our fellows there who decided to take those risks together, were exemplary. Their faith in each other and their bonds with the citizens of Ramelia nearby are exactly why individual citizens need not rely overly much on the guidance of far-off observers.

H: Just what we like to hear! Moving on now to Decree No. 17, which you signed yesterday at a site near the still-under-construction Home of The Servitors; can you give our readers a quick summary of the important points? It was, after all, a quite lengthy decree, and the most robust of your tenure as Symbolicus Sufet so far.

C: Sure. The decree updated some prohibitions on the use of plastics and disposal of waste at sea abroad Marine Office ships, along with accounting for additional labor surpluses coastal residents have dedicated to the expansion and maintenance of the rather long neglected Defense Fleet. The bulk of the decree is dedicated to defining the extent of a number of new sanctions the Imperial people have chosen to enforce against the government and traders of Papagalliania. The most important of these is an embargo of iron ores, ferroalloys, soybeans, raw sugar, woodpulp, tobacco, and other agri-industrial exports of that nation, as well as accompanying sanctions on Papagallianian surplus holdings, and a freeze on any non-essential commercial assets of their merchants currently residing within the Empire's borders.

H: Those are severe penalties. Why did the people of the Empire choose to escalate these measures, some of which existed previously but in much more lenient form before the end of the Great Bridge Project, now?

C: I think our greater contact with the outside world has helped nurture our understanding of the fragility of our relationship as a global community with the Onaron. When Imperial citizens can more plainly see the grievous wounds inflicted on Papagalliania's forests, soil, our shared sea lanes, and even its own people, by the callousness of the few who wish to trade with us in pursuit of greed, we feel more compelled to react justly, even if it does damage the limits of meeting some of our own needs temporarily. Besides, these measures compliment our efforts as a people in Decree No.14 to take additional steps to penalize those who rot the health of our global oceans.

H: What do you say to critics who say these kind of penalties will only harm those already suffering within Papagalliania?

C: I say The Onaron rewards principled actions in-kind, in the long-run.

H: laughs Alright, Carondawana, I have one final question: who will win the Cookie Bowl?

C: I must admit I have not been following the season closely, but . . . I think everyone has heard how creatively Gekennafrœgi Ginnagrtúnn has played, so I will favor them.

H: Thank you so much for speaking with me.

C: Of course.
(This post was last modified: 05-23-2022, 02:27 AM by wateryfoothill.)

Messages In This Thread
The Confederal Globe (Toonela) - by wateryfoothill - 12-17-2020, 03:34 PM